Direct part marking continues to grow in importance and popularity each day in different industries around the world. It is an essential tool that helps trace items and with other important aspects like part identification. Moreover, industry standards and government regulations dictate part marking requirements in every industry globally.
What Is Direct Part Marking?
A direct part mark helps mark parts permanently for identification or traceability. Direct part marking technology might also be used to create designs or for other aesthetic purposes. You might have noticed numbers, codes, or marks specifically on components that are manufactured. These marks can also range from a laser marked 2D data matrix code on an aerospace part or a UPC code on a consumer product.
Companies, which are looking to mark graphics or logos directly onto the products for branding, also use direct part marking technologies and methods to achieve the visual enhancements they need. When it comes to designing circuits, one method to create them is by creating diagrams on specific software, which can later be directly marked on a part.
Types of Direct Part Marks
There are primarily three different types of part marks:
- Engraved Mark– these marks go deep into the surface of the object being marked so that it stays secure from damage caused by harsh environments.
- Etched Marks-the surface of the part is modified to a prominent depth with the modifications in surface properties contrasting to make the mark visible.
- Surface Mark– a permanent mark is added to the surface or a slight surface.
Benefits of Direct Part Marking
Direct part marking enables organizations to give a unique identity to each part, which can help them secure benefits like:
- Add schematics to the parts
- Customers can identify parts by their marks for troubleshooting
- Easy indication of Warranty
- Facilitates inventory management
- Matching batches of finished parts to their raw materials
- Quality system management
- Supply chain management
- Tracking date of manufacturing
These are just some benefits to direct part marking. Its endless applications helps companies manage their operations smoothly, enhancing productivity and strengthening the reliability of tracking protocols. If you are looking for dot peen or laser marking machines, then be sure to give us a call; we have what you need!